I’m one for sharing feelings. Especially when it comes to books. You know this.
This year I’ve made it my goal to express my bookish feelings no matter if they’re good or bad. Even if I sometimes read people’s posts who do this and think ‘how could you not like_____?’ I think that sharing unpopular opinions is good and therapeutic in a way. You’re letting people know that not everyone has to like or dislike the same things.
Now, this post will sort of follow the structure of the Unpopular Opinions book tag but I may go a little further, we’ll see.
Just a reminder: these are my personal feelings and points of view, we may not agree and I’m certainly not attacking any of the books here, but I’m sure we can respect each other’s differences.
A popular book or series that you do not like.
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns by John Green
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.
(None of these are hated by all but there’s a considerably large amount of negative reviews).
- Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
- Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James. (The hate is so huge and these two were actually good!)
- The Luxe series by Anna Godberson
- Gone series by Michael Grant
A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn people for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.
SPOILERS FOR UNEARTHLY BY CYNTHIA HAND
- Feyre and Rhysand – A Court of Thorns and Roses
- Chaol and Celaena – Throne of Glass
- Clara and Tucker – Unearthly (wanted Christian as endgame)
A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
- Young Adult contemporary
A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
- Alina from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (grew to dislike over books 2 and 3).
- Nehemia and Chaol from Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
- Colleen Hoover. In my opinion (don’t hate me) but her books are awful. I tried reading Slammed and Ugly Love-years apart-and both times I DNF’d both books. I’m giving her one last chance with Hopeless.
- John Green. I haven’t really liked any of his books. Looking For Alaska was okay.
A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples lost princess, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)
Unrealistic, terrible dialogue between male characters. It’s not really a trope but for some reason authors think that boys/men all talk to each other really perversely and saying ‘dude’ and insulting each other. And that all men are macho and overtly sexual and are attractive and have muscles…Sorry, there’s a little bit of an annoyance build up there. Like…no we don’t talk like that. STOP.
A popular book/series that you have no interest in reading.
- Illuminae by Meagan Spooner and Jay Kristoff
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
- Half Bad trilogy by Sally Green
The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
(Quite a few actually)
- The Vampire Diaries
- Silver Linings Playbook
- The Fault in Our Stars
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- The Maze Runner
So those are my unpopular opinions. Feel free to share yours in the comments. For some reason I like hearing people’s unpopular opinions. Plus, it’s kind of nice to get it all out there. (Unless it’s about Harry Potter, then don’t bother). Just kidding (*cough*), you can share…
Thank you so much for reading and I’ll talk to you in my next post!