Christmas is drawing near and you can feel the spirit everywhere you go so I’ve decided to do a book tag in order to celebrate my favourite time of year. This one has been circling BookTube and it seemed like a bit of fun, so here goes:
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out – Name a book/series/character that started out well and then went downhill.
I’d have to say the first thing that springs to mind is the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver. This really applies to all three. The book started off promising but got rather confused, the series overall just did not go down well (what was with Requiem?), and Lena was one of the most drab characters I’ve ever read in a book series after Delirium. Overall a bit of a let down.
2. Annoying relatives won’t leave you alone – Name a book that you did not enjoy but everyone else seems to love, and it will not stop haunting you.
Paper Towns by John Green. This one, out of all his books, was the one I disliked the most and with an average rating of 4 stars on Goodreads, I’m in the minority. But truthfully I don’t think I like any John Green book as much as other people. Looking For Alaska was just ok and The Fault In Our Stars I felt was a bit overrated.
3. Your pets keep knocking over your Christmas decorations – Name a character that kept on messing everything up for everyone.
Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Gah! He just loved to hate on everyone. He was just so stuck up and couldn’t see further than his own nose. Everything Harry ever did, Malfoy thought it would be a good idea to get in the way and mess it all up for him. So frustrating! But so well written…
4. You hear your parents putting presents out and learn that Father Christmas is not real – Name a book you were spoiled for.
I won’t go into too much detail but I’m sure a lot of you have heard of this one. Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Went to look up reviews and BAM! Saw it written there. Silly of me but I will read it anyway one day.
5. It’s freezing outside – Name a character you just couldn’t warm to.
Katsa from Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Whilst I did semi-enjoy this book, the lack of feelings towards the characters dragged down my rating like a weight. I just felt like I didn’t understand any decisions she made and I couldn’t connect with her. However other parts of the book kept me interested enough to finish it.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ is being played a lot on the radio, giving you anti-romantic feelings – Name a couple that you just could not stand.
Aspen and America from the Selection series. Aspen was just such a boring character I couldn’t see what America saw in him. I can understand his devotion to his family but sometimes you have to do things for the people you love as well. Anyways, any scene that they were in together just lacked any emotion and fell a bit flat. It felt like a bit of a chore for Aspen to be with America.
7. The scratchy homemade jumper that you got for Christmas years ago but have never worn – A book that has been sitting on your shelf for years that you are not motivated to read, but do not have the heart to get rid of.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This has been on my shelf for so long it’s a wonder there aren’t cobwebs draped over it. There isn’t any part of me that feels motivated to read this book. Someone in my family gave it to me but so far it is just decoration for my shelf. I think I’ll just stick to the good old Agatha Christie books if I want a bit of a mystery.
8. Grandma has gotten run over by a reindeer – Name a character death that you are still mad about.
This is very dangerous territory so I’m just going to say Harry Potter, take what you will out of that.
9. Shops are overcrowded with shoppers for the holidays – Name a series with too many books, or that went on too long
My answer for this one is a bit tricky because while I feel like the series has gone on too long I’m still in the middle of finishing it and I want to complete it for the satisfaction of completion. My answer is the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard. I own books 11 out of 18 possible books. I adored books 0.5-8 but feel like Shepard is continuing the series because of the TV show now. I’m still undecided as to if I’m ever going to completely finish this series.
10. The Grinch – Name a main character that you absolutely hate (not a villain).
Ethan and Lena from the Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. They are both equally boring and inhuman. This series is a DNF for me. I read the first book and hated it, now I have no motivation to keep reading the series. Both of these characters were some of the worst I had ever read about. They completely ruined what (could have been) a good book.
That wraps it up.
Happy holidays and Christmas to all of you! Thank you for reading.